- 2 T Olive oil (I use coconut oil)
- 1 med onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 t. chili powder (I use 1/2 t.)
- 16 oz brown lentils
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes (I use 1 diced and 1 seasoned)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 (32 oz) cartons vegetable or chicken stock
- 1/3 c fresh cilantro, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Optional toppings: sour cream, cheddar cheese, tortilla chips, avocado
In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and red bell pepper. Saute until soft and lightly browned.
Add garlic and chili powder and cook for 1 minute
Add lentils, tomatoes, bay leaf and stock. Bring to boil. Lower the heat and simmer partially covered for 30 minutes or until lentils are tender. Remove from heat and discard bay leaf.
Use immersion blender and partially puree. Stir in cilantro, top with toppings and serve!